Recent Comments by peggedbea subscribe to this feed

Ron Paul: "If it's an honest rape..."

peggedbea says...

I feel like I may have already addressed this a few comments up.
It's the pro-life rhetorical devices he's using. I get an innocent slip of the tongue. I make them constantly. But it's all adding up to a picture of a misogynistic, rascist old dinosaur. And maybe he's even misogynistic and rascist in the way my elderly family members are. I love them anyway and over look their archaic viewpoint an awful lot, but I don't want them making, passing and enforcing laws on everyone elses behalf.
>> ^Lawdeedaw:

I respect your opinion on this matter peggedbea, so I will ask. In my above comments I note that he probably messed up the wording--what do you think? We all use prefaces, or nervous words when speaking, especially about difficult subjects. And sometimes we come off wrong. Change his words around a bit and they sound fine--dopey, but not malicious.
Your boss probably said, "Well, if she is honestly sick" or a church goer "If he honestly tries to work hard and can't afford the bills then I don't mind helping."
(And if there is more in that 40 minute video that contradicts me, well, I do have a life and am not going to watch it, so point it out plz. That goes for anyone too.)
>> ^peggedbea:
it's like he's imagining this world where women/girls are only raped by absolute strangers. where rape is only actually rape if it occurs in a dark parking lot after a night of womanly shopping. it couldn't really be rape if you know your attacker. it's not really an "honest rape" if the rapist is someone you know socially and therefore have social and emotional ties to and the drama of reporting it would only GREATLY INTENSIFY the trauma of the experience. it's certainly not an "honest rape" if anyone could say "well, what were you doing THERE?" "i guess you shouldnt've been drinking!" "well, why were you dressed like that in the first place?" "what were you doing in the car with him?!?". and you certainly weren't actually raped if your psyche allows you to just internalize the incident, place all of the blame on yourself so that you can avoid the stigma and not have to subject yourself to further pokes and prods, investigations by strangers and 0298502945049490 questions and passive-aggressive blame from the people in your life.
ffffuuuuccckkkk tttthhhhhiissss


Ron Paul: "If it's an honest rape..."

peggedbea says...

I disagree. He's discussing what HE SEES as a way around a system that outlaws abortion period. A system that he is on record, in favor of, btw.

In the cases of "honest rape" he is not opposed to emergency contraception. The phrase "honest rape" is anti-woman, victim blamey, proto-fascist rhetoric. I have 0 problem with his stance on emergency contraception. I also have no problem with a system that disallows late term abortion, except in cases when the mothers life is in danger. Late term abortion is ghastly. I'm against it. But "late term abortion" is also another pro-life rhetorical device. To make the entire arena of reproductive choice emotionally repulsive. The instances of late term abortions are extremely rare, but there's tons of hype about it out of the mouths of pro-lifers.

So, his rhetoric is abhorrent. Add this to his revisionist speeches in front of confederate flags, insanely rascist newsletters with his name on it, and I find it hard to believe that it's all an accident. I'm no longer buying that he's just a doting, old, confused by stander instead of a misogynistic, racist old dinosaur from the 1950's.

Oh, and as an OB/GYN, he should be WELL aware of the various psychological and emotional states of victims of sexual assaults. He should be well aware that we all don't just immediately rush over to the emergency room screaming "rape". And that just because we didn't do that, it doesn't mean we weren't "honestly" violated.
>> ^aurens:

To be frank, I think you (and others) are missing the point.
Ron Paul, as I see it, is addressing an obvious problem with a system that would allow medical treatment (early-stage abortion, or the prevention of pregnancy) only for rape victims, namely that you'd have to have a way of turning away (EDIT: and identifying) women who sought abortions for reasons other than rape. He's not suggesting a rubric for doing so (I don't think the interview format would have allowed him to), nor is he making any assumptions about the nature of rape victims or rapists. (Remember: he's a trained obstetrician-gynecologist. I'd bet he knows more about sexual assault than most of us do.) The phrase "honest rape" (yes, a terribly chosen phrase) is part of an attempt to address the problem described above, one which he didn't adequately explain.>> ^peggedbea:
it's like he's imagining this world where women/girls are only raped by absolute strangers. where rape is only actually rape if it occurs in a dark parking lot after a night of womanly shopping. it couldn't really be rape if you know your attacker. it's not really an "honest rape" if the rapist is someone you know socially and therefore have social and emotional ties to and the drama of reporting it would only GREATLY INTENSIFY the trauma of the experience. it's certainly not an "honest rape" if anyone could say "well, what were you doing THERE?" "i guess you shouldnt've been drinking!" "well, why were you dressed like that in the first place?" "what were you doing in the car with him?!?". and you certainly weren't actually raped if your psyche allows you to just internalize the incident, place all of the blame on yourself so that you can avoid the stigma and not have to subject yourself to further pokes and prods, investigations by strangers and 0298502945049490 questions and passive-aggressive blame from the people in your life.
ffffuuuuccckkkk tttthhhhhiissss


Ron Paul: "If it's an honest rape..."

peggedbea says...

please provide statistics. how many women fabricate rapes as an "excuse" to get an abortion? >> ^artician:

I'm personally pro-choice, so this is one of Pauls stances which directly conflicts with my beliefs, but it's pretty clear he just means to exclude women who use rape as an excuse for getting an abortion.

EDIT: also, he's clearly not advocating abortion here either. His solution is to prevent fertilization, which is directly in line with his beliefs.

At some point you must know you're just trolling to generate hate for a guy you don't believe in. I don't necessarily believe in him as much as I used to either, but this is silly, and is the exact same childish game that has brought political discourse to the level of the grade-school special-needs-mentality that's pandered around by the mainstream media.

Ron Paul: "If it's an honest rape..."

peggedbea says...

it's like he's imagining this world where women/girls are only raped by absolute strangers. where rape is only actually rape if it occurs in a dark parking lot after a night of womanly shopping. it couldn't really be rape if you know your attacker. it's not really an "honest rape" if the rapist is someone you know socially and therefore have social and emotional ties to and the drama of reporting it would only GREATLY INTENSIFY the trauma of the experience. it's certainly not an "honest rape" if anyone could say "well, what were you doing THERE?" "i guess you shouldnt've been drinking!" "well, why were you dressed like that in the first place?" "what were you doing in the car with him?!?". and you certainly weren't actually raped if your psyche allows you to just internalize the incident, place all of the blame on yourself so that you can avoid the stigma and not have to subject yourself to further pokes and prods, investigations by strangers and 0298502945049490 questions and passive-aggressive blame from the people in your life.

ffffuuuuccckkkk tttthhhhhiissss

Bill Maher Gets Schooled On Vaccines By Bill Frist

peggedbea says...

i mostly agree with you, but i would say there are some pretty important difference between the typical lifestyle in the us and the typical lifestyle in other western nations.

for example, people in other western nations tend to walk more and depend on their cars less. even if it's walking to the nearest train or bus station, they still walked 200 steps farther than their american counterparts. this becomes more apparent when you look at the fattest cities in the US and at their public transportation method. houston used to be at the top of the list (it might still be, it's been a while since i've checked).. i grew up in houston, my husband still lives there. public transportation is a BAD. it's weird too because it's such a massive, populous city and every time they've planned a rail system, it gets shelved. it's super hot and super humid and super unsafe, so noone walks. houstonians. drive. everywhere. and. they. are. fat.

i can think of a lot more slight lifestyle difference that i think add up, but i just go too tired to elaborate on all of them. here's the bullet points.
-cultural attitude towards meals (europeans tend to spend more time and eat slower, which is proven to help you eat less)
-other western nations outrank the us in education (use your imagination to come up with the benefits of that)
-social safety net (an american with a $4/day food stamp budget is destined to be a bargain shopper-which means cheap, fatty, unhealthy foods)
blah blah blah >> ^packo:

>> ^spoco2:
Yeah, he may be schooled, but he didn't believe it did he? That's the problem with so many of these incorrect beliefs... you can't change their mind because they just don't believe what you're saying because it happens to be in line with the government.
Therefore must be wrong somehow.
Frustrating as hell to watch

i wouldn't call this schooling, because FRIST could barely string together a coherent point (partly due to Bill)...
what I find frustrating is Frist trying to say FOR PROFIT HEALTHCARE isn't the problem... and he goes on to describe lifestyle and diet as the main cause of all the poor rankings the US receives in regards to healthcare
what it completely ignores is how the lifestyle/diet he's pointing out... isn't singular to the US... but is QUITE common in WESTERN NATIONS... the point of difference is the availability/cost of healthcare... because all it takes is quick glance at those 20 WESTERN NATIONS, that outperform the US at a much cheaper cost.... and you realize, while they ALL have similar lifestyles/diets... the US is the only nation without universal healthcare
that's not to say WESTERN MEDICINE as a whole doesn't fail at emphasizing prevention as opposed to treating conditions after they occur....
just pointing out the fact that the US diet/lifestyle... isn't exactly EXOTIC in WESTERN NATIONS
while UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE is EXOTIC ("scary") in the US

Bill Maher Gets Schooled On Vaccines By Bill Frist

peggedbea says...

in my practice i also find that people don't care what research i tell them about. they become interested when the advice i give and the methods i use have helped other people. they come back several times a week or once a month, because after spending an hour with me... they feel better. my business is successful because of word of mouth and repeat clients.

people are only mildly interested in research. people are very interested in their neighbors.

Bill Maher Gets Schooled On Vaccines By Bill Frist

peggedbea says...

i agree with everything you just said, but i think you might be over estimating how much of it is science.
it's a great deal business. at least in the US. where medicine is mostly for profit. for huge huge profits.
medical RESEARCH is in fact, science. and i have faith in it. the dispensing of medicine is however, a business.

i'm saying this as someone who has degrees in health science fields. spent 8 years as a health care professional. spent 1/3 of that time doing administrative work. and now owns a business as a CAM practitioner.... which btw, is also a good bit business.

i'd also like to stick up for alternative medicine here.
a good deal of it is bullshit. any results are simply the placebo effect. but i don't think we should discount the placebo effect. it's an amazing mechanism. if you feel less depressed because someone hit you with a tuning fork and you didn't have to take any pills or go to a counselor, then okay. that's awesome. i still think you probably need counseling, but whatever. i also think you should take a good hard look at your diet and how much exercise you're doing. but how much does it cost in the US to go to a counselor, go to a doctor, get your anti-depressants and have a nutritionist and a phsyical trainer help you learn how to excercise and eat right? it's probably cheaper to pay someone $80 to hit you with that tuning fork and convince yourself it's going to work.

I make a decent living practicing complementary health care. but i don't tell anyone they need to be hit with a tuning fork or have someone throw energy beams out of their hands at them. i tell people they need to stretch, and i teach them how. i tell people they need to sleep properly, and i help them do it. i tell people they need to find an effective way to deal with stress, and i give them that. i tell people they need to find a form of exercise that's right for their bodies and lifestyles, and i help them find it. a lot of people just need someone to trust and someone to talk to. and that's why they call me a "therapist". i never tell people to go against their doctor's orders. i never tell anyone to stop taking their medicine or not to be vaccinated. and that's why what i do is COMPLEMENTARY.

we're too quick to dismiss a different approach when it comes to health care.
the same people are also very quick to be able to recognize the problems with our for profit health care systems when it comes to political discussions. the profit motive hasn't just tainted medicine in terms of disparity. it's tainted it in terms of effectiveness. this is where a holistic approach is good. it's not effect to only treat the symptom. if someone is overweight, has high blood pressure, their stress is out of control and they have diabetes. prescribing them pills, while necessary in the short term, is not at all where the "care" should end. i know doctors will also tell their patients to eat right and exercise but they do not teach them how to do it. because for profit health care doesn't think that is profitable. a for profit system does not want you healthy.

soooo... the market has opened up. if the way we practice medicine and viewed health in this country was working, people wouldn't pay to get hit with tuning forks. oh and half of this is a problem with our education system.
>> ^dag:

^Yes, how dare anyone question the all-knowing oracles of medical knowledge.
I think the reason that many geeky type people always toe the main-stream medical line is because they conflate medicine with science (which we all love). Yes, it's almost the same, but if I had to draw it as a venn diagram, there would be a crescent of over-hang. Medicine to me is 80% science and then the rest is filled in with dogma, patriarchy and business ($$).
That crescent of non-science is the part that makes me squirm. I don't think it's that wrong to question medical programs like vaccinations- with the idea that it may be being pushed non-scientifically by the medical industrial complex. (big pharma).
Bill Maher is not a kook.

Megyn Kelly on maternity leave being "a racket"

peggedbea says...

1. the us does not have paid maternity leave, some companies do, most don't. it's at their discretion.

2. what many corporate operations will have is short term disability insurance, which is paid by employee and employer.

3. many corporate operations will also offer paid time off, the day i found out i was pregnant, i did not spend any of my pto, saving it all up for my 6 weeks maternity leave.

4. the first few months of life are EXTREMELY VITAL to proper human development. even if you think people should have less babies (and most of them seem to be agreeing with you, btw) we still need a significant amount of new people born each year. unless you want ignorant malnourished sociopaths changing your pants in your nursing home, it's in your best interest to be supportive of strong prenatal and post partum policies.

5. capitalism is built on the backs of women. 1000's upon 1000's of unpaid hours creating future workers for the machine. if you want the best workers possible, even if you want less of them, it's in societies best interest to be supportive of motherhood. it's doing a piss poor job right now. and you pricks wonder why kids are so stupid and bratty and burning their cities to the ground? i bet not a little of that is due to the increasing difficulty of balancing being a mother, with paying all the bills. and in the end, motherhood is the single greatest risk factor for poverty in old age.

6. fuck your patriarchal bullshittery "live within your means, if i want bicycle around europe blah blah" arguments.

7. thinking that good maternity policies "incentivise" people to have more kids is silly. people who are actually fortunate enough to have planned pregnancies realize they're going to be raising the kid longer than a few months. and birth rates are on the decline in the developed world.

The other side of the London "riots"

The other side of the London "riots"

peggedbea says...

there's even something deeper to the looting. like how all the worlds politicians and public official have been looting the public coffers and living off of bribes from corporations while gutting entitlements and vital social services. i don't doubt the looters are probably douchebags, but you can reap what you sew, governments.

>> ^hpqp:

@Yogi: see the video below, it's the same street the night before. The people who wrecked this street were simply profiting from the situation to steal stuff, nothing more.
edit: embed fail: http://videosift.com/video/News-Reporter-Confronts-London-Looters

lucky760 (Member Profile)

peggedbea says...

hey lucky,
we were just discussing this in the lounge and i was asked to run it past you:
there are quite a few talented artists on the sift.... so we were thinking about some kind of gallery days for vs artists to display their arts for all of sift-kind to marvel at and feel inspired by and maybe purchase if both parties felt like making the transaction. like.. some kind of virtual gallery party?
i don't know the best way to go about this, because while i'm certainly a nerd on a computer, i'm not the computery kind of nerd. i'm not sure if it's even possible. but the lounge is in favor of it at the moment. and it sounds neato.

let us know what you think,
xoxoxo
bea

#OpPayPal

peggedbea says...

15 people were arrested for taking part in ddos attacks, which are the virtual equivalent of walking into a store with a 1000 friends and buying nothing. they're facing $500,000 lawsuits and 15 years in prison.

how do you propose we, the people, hold a board of directors accountable for their actions? what steps exactly can we legally take? usually when a group of people disagrees with the actions of a corporate entity, they organize a boycott of the goods/services said entity is providing. your entire last paragraph was not thought out entirely. and a reeked of a typical protofascist cop-out. turn off your corporate medias, son.
>> ^critical_d:

what in particular are you talking about when you say "virtual version of walking into a store and not purchasing anything?"?
The hillbilly analogy was used as an example of punishing an individual (the drunk) versus punishing a faceless company like PayPal. By punishing Paypal (taking down their site) you are punishing the people who work there and the investors who own the company. Do they deserve punishment because of the decisions of a few at that company? Shouldn't we hold the leaders or directors responsible instead?
>> ^peggedbea:
>> ^critical_d:
When will we stop romanticizing the vigilante acts of a group of people who aim a LOIC at a website and press go?
I am in no way defending the targets or their actions that caused them to fall under the crosshairs. But PayPal is not a hillbilly with a who drank too much at the bar, got a blowjob from a hooker, and came home to beat the wife cuz dinner wasn't ready. People who don't deserve to be punished are...and that sucks.

romanticizing? or supporting? ...and hopefully never.
the drunk hillbilly analogy makes very little sense.
who exactly is punished? people who couldn't access their paypal accounts for a few hours?? inconvienced maybe, punished? not quite.
or are you talking about the 20 year old kids who are facing $500,000 law suits and 15 years in prison for what is the virtual version of walking into a store and not purchasing anything? beacuse yeah, that does fucking suck.

when will people stop sounding like protofascist drones and reclaim their innate ability to think critically and be free?
what's happening here is so much bigger than bored teenagers fucking shit up for a day. it's a new current in radical movements. there's always been radical activity under the surface of any dominate power structure, and hopefully their always will be. this is the fist time in history it's been so able to truly be a global force. and that my friend, is fucking huge... a few hundred thousand kids, world wide, understand the technology so much better than any corporate/governmental IT division. they're writing the fucking code. this is the kind of movement that i think really has staying power, and it will be impossible for either political party just absorb some of the ideology into their platform to placate it, like they do with all movements that gain any sort of momentum.


#OpPayPal

#OpPayPal

peggedbea says...

>> ^critical_d:

When will we stop romanticizing the vigilante acts of a group of people who aim a LOIC at a website and press go?
I am in no way defending the targets or their actions that caused them to fall under the crosshairs. But PayPal is not a hillbilly with a who drank too much at the bar, got a blowjob from a hooker, and came home to beat the wife cuz dinner wasn't ready. People who don't deserve to be punished are...and that sucks.


romanticizing? or supporting? ...and hopefully never.

the drunk hillbilly analogy makes very little sense.

who exactly is punished? people who couldn't access their paypal accounts for a few hours?? inconvienced maybe, punished? not quite.

or are you talking about the 20 year old kids who are facing $500,000 law suits and 15 years in prison for what is the virtual version of walking into a store and not purchasing anything? beacuse yeah, that does fucking suck.


when will people stop sounding like protofascist drones and reclaim their innate ability to think critically and be free?

what's happening here is so much bigger than bored teenagers fucking shit up for a day. it's a new current in radical movements. there's always been radical activity under the surface of any dominate power structure, and hopefully their always will be. this is the fist time in history it's been so able to truly be a global force. and that my friend, is fucking huge... a few hundred thousand kids, world wide, understand the technology so much better than any corporate/governmental IT division. they're writing the fucking code. this is the kind of movement that i think really has staying power, and it will be impossible for either political party just absorb some of the ideology into their platform to placate it, like they do with all movements that gain any sort of momentum.

#OpPayPal

peggedbea says...

@longde paypal blocks donations to wikileaks, while providing service to groups like the kkk and a norweigian terrorist organizations. it's handed over 1000 names to the fbi for what is basically the virtual equivolient of hundreds of people walking into a store and not buying anything. when a corporation does the bidding of the state department (as it did in the case of wikileaks), it's fascism. and vice versa.



Send this Article to a Friend



Separate multiple emails with a comma (,); limit 5 recipients






Your email has been sent successfully!

Manage this Video in Your Playlists

Beggar's Canyon